Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Long Distance Cuddling

My husband (S) and I dated long distance for over a year.  (Three of those weeks, he was on the other side of the Earth in Japan!)  We spent lots of time and money traveling back and forth between Pennsylvania and North Carolina to see each other every two to three weeks.  In between visits, we would use Google Voice and Video (now called "Hangouts") to video chat every night from about 8 to 10 pm. My kids were in bed by 8 so we had time for actual adult conversations.

We had wonderful, long discussions about our days, life, kids, plans, and science. We talked about everything!  We laughed and learned from each other.  It was heavenly, except that we weren't together.

Each night, I would pretend to fall asleep so S would fall asleep because he would stay awake as long as he thought I was still up.  In the time between when we had finished talking and when we "fell asleep," the laptop would be on my bed next to my head and I could almost believe that he was there with me.  I would dream of a time when I could fall asleep with him for real, my head on his chest and his arm wrapped around my back.

We've been married for a year and a half now.  I still feel like we're on our honeymoon!  Every night, I get to go to sleep in his arms.  Sometimes, I remember just how badly I wanted that to be real and how blessed I am that it is!  Although I miss those long talks sometimes, I'm so glad our cuddling isn't long distance anymore. I love you, S!

No comments:

Post a Comment